Pages

Subscribe:

Thursday, December 26, 2013

Birdfeeder My backyard bird feeders are only attracting sparrows?

Question by Andrea: My backyard bird feeders are only attracting sparrows?
I fill my birdfeeder every day with a basic seed mix for wild birds. All I am getting is sparrows and an occasional cardinal. No chickadees, no titmice, no nuthatches, etc. I can hear them so I know they’re out there. Are there any tricks to getting rid of these hungry sparrows so that the other songbirds can get some food?

Thanks for you help.

Best answer:

Answer by Kevin
They all like a different type of food and some even prefer certain bird feeder placements. The sparrows will mostly eat food off of the ground that you either put there or has fallen there out of the feeder due to the cardinals or squirrels. Chickadees normally fly in and fly out very quickly, but if they aren’t coming I am not sure why, they normally eat the same food as the sparrows. Titmice and nuthatches love peanuts and suet, along with woodpeckers. They most likely will not visit a mixture of corn and sunflower seeds. Also, make sure your bird feeder is close enough to a sheltered area that the birds feel comfortable getting the food. I can guarantee you that the sparrows are not scaring away the other birds, so there is no need to try deterring them from your feeder. I hope this helps!

Know better? Leave your own answer in the comments!



Tags:Attracting, Backyard, bird, birdfeeder, Feeders, ONLY, sparrows

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...