Pages

Subscribe:

Saturday, July 27, 2013

Flightless Birds How do i assert dominance over my bird?

Question by mickeymousears: How do i assert dominance over my bird?
I have a 6 year old cockatiel, who likes to gently bite. its more of a beak bumb/fake bite. In any case I see it as an aggressive act that i would like to curb.
I have tried everything I can think of: words, laddering, ignoring, “time outs”, etc.
When I scratch his head, he will “bite” then he begs for his head scratched again; this has been going on ever since he was a baby. In the last few years he has been “biting” more often.

BTW, he is a flightless bird (I know the first answer will be “clip his wings”)
Okay… i am not getting another bird…
and his actions are not attempts to groom me. They are attempts to dominate me… yes, he is showing me who is boss, and its him. I am HIS person. He bites anytime he is unhappy-basically throwing tempertantrums. and he has drawn blood, when defending his territory. sooo… i know WHY he bites… im wondering how to stop the biting! Like i said, I have tried everything i can think of… I need to show him I am the boss-and he isnt getting the message. oh, and on top of the techniques i mentioned before, he also has a very strict sleeping schedule (12 hours a night).
oh, and the only time he is alone is when we are working… otherwise he has free reign over the house, but he never strays more than 5 feet away from me.
Its funny that people feel like they know everything about you and your life from 2 paragraphs over the internet.
I dont need advice on getting a new bird, or if i should ever own a parrot (which by the way, i have!)
I simply want a few tips on how to stop a habit of biting.
Yes, I am aware that sometimes this behavior will display itself when he is grouchy or if i hit a pin feather… obviously, if that was the problem then i would KNOW how to fix it. Those arent the bites i am talking about!
stop leaving self righteous lectures-if you dont know of any tips then move on!
Just because you are a backyard bird breeder, doesnt mean you have the last say in bird behaviorism.
okay okay… forget i said about the head scratches… I am least worried about those “bites”.

I would like to know is what to do when my bird aggressivly bites – when he is being territorial (which i know is hormonal) or for any other reason. of course, I am not going to bonk him on the head- or bite him back *roll eyes*. I have tried laddering, and all the other techniques mentioned in the original question. does ANYONE have another suggestion?

Best answer:

Answer by tkwizard2004
everytime he bits you, grab his tounge, hell learn, if not, flick him on his head. just enough pain for him to say ow (if he cants say ow, hit him harder, hell say it

Add your own answer in the comments!



Tags:assert, bird, Birds, dominance, Flightless, over

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...