Pages

Subscribe:

Thursday, March 13, 2014

Goldfinch Question on goldfinches?

Question by Avon Lady: Question on goldfinches?
I have some questions on goldfinches, I am not really a bird enthusiast, meaning that I don’t know a heck of a lot, but I do enjoy watching them at the feeders. About 10 months ago, I convinced my husband to buy one “finch feeder” and some “Super Finch Food” from Lowe’s as I was sure I’d seen goldfinches in our area……..(Hollister, CA)
The feeder stood untouched for a good 6 months, and then suddenly there were like 14 birds fighting over a space to sit and I had to fill it daily. I ended up getting a second feeder, and then suddenly, as soon as they appeared, the birds left for about 2 weeks (some say to feed on budding trees?)
At any rate, they are back now and I think I must be the ONLY person in this town with a finch feeder, I have to fill them both every other day. There are often several finches waiting in the tree for a space on one of the feeders.
My question is, what is the BEST thing to feed them? Straight thistle seed, or the “finch mix”? They seem to like the straight thistle better but I want to make sure this is healthy for them, and also…………are these birds “year round” in California (about 100 miles south of San Francisco), or how should I plan for them? Is there anything they like in addition to thistle/finch food?

Thanks for your input.

Best answer:

Answer by thomas
yup

Know better? Leave your own answer in the comments!



Tags:Goldfinch, Goldfinches, Question

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...