Pages

Subscribe:

Friday, March 7, 2014

Finch Bird Feeders Q&A: How do birds survive ice storms?

Question by Jeffery Smith: How do birds survive ice storms?
All birds live in trees, right? I live in north Texas, and just a couple of days ago it was in the 70s and I had bluejays in my backyard eating birdseed out of my feeder in the backyard. I know they have a nest in one of my trees. But yesterday we had a huge ice storm, and every single tree, and every single branch, is completely encased in ice, and it’s nearly 20 degrees outside. How are my bluejays surviving? I put some more birdseed out on top on the ice but I haven’t seen my bluejays at all. I hope they are ok.

Best answer:

Answer by joanne
Birds have down to keep them warm. Their wings are also water repellent.
The cold weather isn’t an issue right now but the ice may be.
The birds have sought protection in trees or old barns and will be back when the ice starts to thaw.
It is -48 C ( roughly -35 F )right now where I live and the Blue Jays in my area came for their peanuts this morning!

Give your answer to this question below!



Tags:bird, Birds, Feeders, Finch, Storms, survive

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...