Pages

Subscribe:

Sunday, February 23, 2014

Buy Birds Q&A: What kind of bird should I buy?

Question by Kailey: What kind of bird should I buy?
Alright, so I’m almost 16 years old and I love animals, and I’ve recently decided I really would love to have a bird!

My parents aren’t really bid on birds, or animals in general. I also have two dogs, a Boston Terrier and a Jack Russel Terrier mix. (And a Beta fish, but that doesn’t matter xD) I don’t think my parents would like a ton of whistling, but I think a little will be tolerable for them. I’d like one that will love to come out of it’s cage and sit on my shoulder and interact, and maybe even talk a little to whistle some tunes. One that has a lot of personality.

I do go to school for 8 hours a day, so it would need to be able to keep a little quiet in my room until then, but I don’t want it to feel excluded or anything like that! But of course, as soon as I’d get home I’d take it out and whatnot.

I am also a first time bird owner, so it’s important I get a bird that I can commit to but is simple enough to take care of. So, what kind of bird do you think I should get? Thanks so much for reading this! and thanks for the help!
I forgot to mention, we’re not exactly the richest family so it’d be great if the bird was somewhat inexpensive to purchase as well as to care for. I can work to earn some money to help buy it with though. Thanks!

Best answer:

Answer by •Stacy•
It depends on the bird, not the species on how it’s temperment will be. A cockatiel for example. My friend has one. He is sweet, cute, cuddly etc. Someone else I know has one, and he is a complete nightmare. He bites, he flys away from people, and he screeches constantly. All birds make noise. It’s innevitable. If you don’t want noise, a bird is not the right pet for you. Just sayin. The bigger birds (and even some species of conure) can be and are very noisy. Budgies are good beginner birds and tend to not be so loud, but their chatter is constant. Lovebirds’ shrill chirps can be annoying and some chirp all the time. You can’t get a bird and expect it to act a certain way. A hand fed baby would be your best bet. Birds are flock animals and can’t be left alone for too long. Be sure to give it plenty of attention. I’d talk to your parents about the noise, because like I said, you’re not going to find a quiet bird. And even if you do, I’d be sure to get it vet checked because a quiet bird usually means a sick bird. Have you ever seen a commercial or TV show with budgies/parakeets in those little cages? Never do that. The cage needs to be large, have plenty of toys, and different varieties of perches [wood, rope, etc]. You should also have swings and things. Never use a round cage, as birds feel insecure in them. The bird needs corners in it’s cage. And never keep the cage in the middle of a room. Keep it in a safe, sunny corner. It also feels insecure exposed like that, in the middle of a room. It should not be housed in a lonely room, like a bed room, if you can avoid it. The second busied room in your house would be best. Not too busy – but different people should visit the room. A diet of all seed is not good. Birds need high quality pellets and seed mixes, including fresh food like veggies and fruit. Never buy a bird from a pet store, as many of them are adults and are sick. And they hand fed babies th! ey occasionally have are raised in horrible conditions and fed through a pump tube. Since you’re a beginner, I have a few suggestions for you. A hand fed baby budgie, cockatiel, or a lovebird. Lovebirds tend to be on the nippy side so unless you’re prepared for a few good bites, I wouldn’t reccomend this species to you. Do some more research on the different species and decide what’s right for you and your family. Remember, don’t impulse buy. So many people see a cute baby sun conure in a pet store and take it home immediately, not knowing sun conures are very LOUD, messy, and demanding pets. Now I’m not trying to chase you away from bird ownership, as birds can make cuddly, loving companions also but they ALL have cons, as do all pets do. Remember that the cage, bird, toys, food, perches, swings and whatever else can add up in money. And a new toy should be added, and an old one taken out every once in a while to ensure your bird doesn’t get bored.
I would join the forum birdboard.com. Everyone on there is nice and experienced and will answer any questions you need! =)

What do you think? Answer below!



Tags:bird, Birds, kind, should

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...