Pages

Subscribe:

Wednesday, January 29, 2014

Bird Of Paradise Can I divide a Bird of Paradise plant that has gotten too large?

Question by Muttie: Can I divide a Bird of Paradise plant that has gotten too large?
I live in the hot (summer) valley in central California near Fresno, and I have a Bird of Paradise that has gotten too large. Can I successfully divide the plant and transplant part of it to another location? When is the best time of year to do this?

Best answer:

Answer by Sandyspacecase
Hi Muttie,
I live in Southern Ca. close to L.A.
I have a Bird Of Paradise too that had gotten too big. Mine in in a huge pot on the patio. It had gotten so big that it was starting to die, so I had no choice but to split it. I used a very sharp shovel to split the tightly grown root stock and put each into separate pots. Normally I would have waited until fall to do this, but like I said, it was starting to die and I couldn’t allow that to happen as it was my Mothers plant. You need to protect it against transplant shock, so use something like Quick Set which is a transplant shock preventer. Keep it moist until the roots have started to grow. I give mine a little water in the morning and then again in the evening since it has been so hot outside. One more thing, just so you know, the Bird of Paradise plant will not bloom again for three to five years after transplanting.

Know better? Leave your own answer in the comments!



Tags:bird, Divide, gotten, large, Paradise, Plant

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...