Pages

Subscribe:

Saturday, August 25, 2012

Bird Identification Can anyone help me with a bird identification?

Question by : Can anyone help me with a bird identification?
So I was out on a camping trip in Louisiana, and I saw this big woodpecker fly over the campsite and land about 50 yards away. All I saw was that its back had a big white triangle on it, and it definitely had a black head. I found information on Pileated woodpeckers, but they dont have black heads. I dont know what it is. I would really like to know because it was such a cool looking bird.

Best answer:

Answer by lizzzy9
The only woodpecker that I found that could remotely resemble the one you saw is supposedly extinct except for possibly Arkansas. Female Ivory-billed woodpeckers have black heads and a white-looking triangle on the backside. Ivory-billed woodpeckers are big, like pileated. I would be highly skeptical, however, that this was the bird you saw, unless, of course, you got some good clean photos of it. http://bna.birds.cornell.edu/bna/species/711/galleries/figures/ivory-billed-woodpecker-draw/image_large

Add your own answer in the comments!



Tags:Anyone, bird, Help, Identification

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...